|Density (near r.t)||:||8.65 g/cm3|
- Cadmium is a lustrous, silver-white, ductile, very malleable metal.
- Its surface has a bluish tinge and the metal is soft enough to be cut with a knife, but it tarnishes in air.
- It is soluble in acids but not in alkalis. It is similar in many respects to zinc but it forms more complex compounds.
- Making of nickel-cadmium batteries
- Pigments, coatings and plating
- Stabilizers in manufacture of plastics
- Electroplating of steel
- Production of nickel-cadmium (Ni-Cd) rechargeable batteries