|Density (near r.t)||:||1.738g/cm3|
- Magnesium is a shiny, silver or gray colored metal that is light in weight and strong.
- The surface of magnesium metal is covered with a thin layer of oxide that helps protect the metal from attack by air.
- Once ignited, magnesium metal burns in air with a characteristic blinding bright white flame to give a mixture of white magnesium oxide, MgO, and magnesium nitride, Mg3N2.
- It is a preferred material when looking for weight reduction without compromising overall strength.
- The vibration damping capacity is also beneficial in applications in which the internal forces of high-speed components must be reduced.
- Automotive ,Aircraft and missile components
- Bicycles and other sporting goods equipment
- Laptops, televisions, cell phones and other electronic application
- Magnesium alloys have also been used as a replacement to some engineering plastics due to their higher stiffness, high recycling capabilities, and lower cost of production.