|Melting Point||:||2,830 °C (5,130 °F; 3,100 K) (decomposes)|
|Density||:||3.16 g⋅cm-3 (hex.)|
|Green Count||15 max.|
- Black Silicon Carbide (SiC) is a semi-friable abrasive often used for general abrasive applications in bonded abrasive tools, lapping, polishing, tock tumbling, glass etching and frosting.
- Black Silicon Carbide is produced in electrical internal resistance furnaces from high purity silica sand and petroleum coke.
- Black SiC is typically used on hard or brittle materials. It is also used for kiln furniture, lapping and polishing, non-woven, tumbling, pressure blasting, anti-skid, electrical heating elements, aerospace, composites, etc.
- Grinding non-ferrous materials, rock, stone, leather, rubber, finishing tough and hard materials.
- Bonded Abrasive tools, lapping and polishing.
- Widely used as a metallurgical additive and refractory material.